From: Alec Smyth <Alec.Smyth@compuware.com>
To: personal submersibles <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Tue, 19 May 2009 14:04:19 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] system completetion

Thanks David, I'm really interested but will wait to see what Divelink
come back with before making a final decision. It's fantastic you're
doing this, I appreciate it. While a single sideband unit from OTS is
probably the ultimate, I really like something that we can build
ourselves and 350' sounds like sufficient for most PSUBS operations.

Basic question... I have a marine VHF sitting on a shelf. Is it possible
to leverage that so that underwater it would transmit/receive through a
hydrophone instead of the antenna? Sorry if this is a completely
ignorant question, but it's just provoked by the fact it already has a
handset, speaker, and amplifier. I'm envisioning the addition of a
switch between surfaced mode (antenna) and submerged (hydrophone), but
imagine it couldn't be that simple. This is something I really know
nothing about.

thanks,

Alec