From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of David Bartsch
Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 02:06
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] system completetion

Alec,

  Dean just received his console #4 and has placed a request for yet another unit. Seems he wants one for his support craft as well.
  Les already has two units and posted some test results from earlier this year. He cut holes in the ice on a nearby pond and was able to cross talk some 350' apart.
  The system I have developed is a basic communications system that uses an underwater speaker and the listening device is our HBH-2 hydrophones. Two boats simply talk back and forth. There is no carrier so as ambient noises rise, the range will diminish.
  I looked into "underwater speakers" and actually bought one only to find the maximum operating depth was but 14'. (This would have been real useful to us) I have discovered that by installing a sound device for solids into a metal dish and pouring two part molding plastic, you can make an underwater speaker capable of going down quite deep. (exactly how deep is yet to be established) This special transmitter is not expensive and can be seen under special projects under my name and "UW COMMS".
  The cost for a complete system including two passive hydrophones and this voice transmitter is $245.00 and in most instances, this includes shipping.
  A cb styled handset automatically shifts the unit from receive to transmit and back again once the message is sent.
  The basic block diagram is on the last picture under UW COMMS and I will aid anyone who wishes to make a unit of like construction on their own. The preamplifiers and amplifier cards are kits from various suppliers that anyone with a little time and patience can put together. The battery is self supplied and is 12 vdc. (this negates the need to ship lead)
  The goal was to make available a simple to use underwater communications set that will allow two submarines to talk to each other while both are up to 500' down and 500' apart. Talking from sub to support vessel without surfacing would also be nice.
  Dean has yet to try out his latest toy, but from those that have ventured into the world of underwater sound with these things, I have no complaints.
  At present, console #1 is with Frank D. in California, #2 and #3 are with Les Katschor in Michigan, #4 and soon #5 will be with Dean Ackman, and more will follow.
  These are easy to build, repair and maintain and should make submarine activity safer as these consoles allow for the listening of ambient noise such as boat traffic.
  The newest attempt at a sonar system is essentially only a single amplification channel for listening only. This should be great for collision avoidance.
  If you think you would enjoy a simpler form of communications with in-club support, just give me the word.

                                                                                                         David Bartsch