To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Friday, May 15, 2009 12:27 AM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] mounting acrylic dome in fibreglass

Hi Alan,

If by "...leaving a small portion of the flange on..." you are talking about a flange on the acrylic dome as a result of manufacturing, check your Stachiw book for the requirements necessary to use such a flange. If it doesn't meet certain specs, leaving it intact can weaken the dome when it is under pressure.

Jon

Alan James wrote:
Hi guys,
I'm building a small epoxy/fiberglass 1 atmosphere sub and are wanting to embed an acrylic dome in a block of epoxy resin/fiberglass. The dome and fiberglass ring will comprise my hatch. The dome is 25mm thick and 500mm OD. I'm envisaging I will embed it half way into a ring that is 50mm wide and 25mm high. The ring has a theoretical crush depth of 4000ft(1,768psi) The dome (if it was cast wich its not) would have a crush depth of 3233ft. I have the option of leaving a small portion of the flange on to key it into the fibreglass. The epoxy fibreglass is about 25% stronger than the acrylic. I'm designing everything with a crush depth of 2000ft + but will be happy with a 200ft operating depth.
Any thoughts -reservations - comments would be appreciated.
Thanks, regards Alan

our server receiving your request.

PSUBS.ORG
PO Box 53