RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: Pressure vessel welding

Actually that will decrease the strength of the hull a little. The formulas for hull strength use a variable for the unsupported length between stiffeners. That is the space, obviously, between the ribs, and in the case of the last stiffener one has to add 40% of the depth of the head. So if the overall length is increased, those separations will increase a little too.

From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of glen brown
Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 14:56
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: Pressure vessel welding

Hi Frank D
Thanks for the encouragement this is probably a stupid question when I cut my hole today for my tower transfer I noticed that my hull fore of the tower was 2'' too long which got me thinking if I did not cut it I would have a bit more space I fly helicopters for a living and have come to appreatiate space increase regardless how small I looked at the plans and it does not look like it will interfere with the overall strength of the hull .I would appreatiate any input.
All The Best
Glen SA