Sent: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 10:10 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: Pressure vessel welding

Hi guys. Well......yes, the process of building a pressure vessel isn't something to take lightly. As Dan has said here, there's lots to consider. Not really an easy project for a novice welder, but with a little common sense, some basic parameters, and LOTS of practice it can be done. Provided the builder has learned the necessary skills, and has the right information and equipment.
    For me, I didn't use Mig. I TIG welded all the beads. Partly because my eyes aren't what they used to be after 40 some years as a welder, and partly because I didn't want to buy another weld machine to run the seams. I did however burn up a couple of TIG torches in the process. Still, much cheaper than buying another MIG machine.
I have been using the TIG on almost everything I weld lately because it's much easier to see what's going on with the puddle, and the welds are easy to keep clean. It's a lot slower though. ( A LOT )
As for MIG welds getting brittle, they can if you don't follow Dan's advice. I would still recommend shielding gas on the back side. The back will need to be ground out anyway, but the gas will reduce that "back grinding" to almost nothing. Just grazing the surface with the grinder will take it down to nice, clean metal.
Pre-heating the base and letting it cool slowly will mitigate most causes of embrittlement if the right wire and good shielding is used. Heat control is very important too. The weld bead itself is stronger than the base metal, but the "heat affected zone" right next to the weld is where problems develop.
The best way to make a pressure tank ( you're all gonna hate this ) is to get a tank shop to make it for you. They use computer controlled automatic weld machines. A machine weld is the best, but for a couple of reasons, not available to us. First off, the tank shops won't build submarine hulls, for sure. The steel shops won't even sell you the stuff if you tell them you're building a sub. Second, the price. I got a price to make just the two circumference welds on my hull, and labor alone was $5800. Damn, I never got paid that kind of money welding for NASA or the other hi-tech outfits. Guess I was working too cheap!
Anyway, back to the task at hand. It could be possible to rent a MIG machine capable of welding the seams, or maybe get a local guy with a portable machine to come out and do it. A couple of phone calls will tell you what's available and how much. Or you can use TIG like I did, it just takes a long time. ( good thing I'm retired! )
Most of the other welding tasks for a home built sub aren't life threatening, so aren't that critical.
Stick welding has been used on pressure vessels for many years too. It's kinda dirty and requires a lot of grinding but it's a good way to get X-ray quality welds if the welder has the skills and patience.
Well, gotta get back up to the shop. Frank D.

Great deals on Dell’s most popular laptops – Starting at $479