Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Personal submersibles considered for luxury tax

"Then there's the submarine tax, which Rep. Chip Shields, D-Portland, isn't even trying to defend. Still, Shields says he brought it back to make a point: People want the wealthy to pay their share."

Sounds like the sponsor of the bill isn't defending it, which is good news, but on the other hand makes you wonder why he would bring something up in the legislature that he doesn't stand behind himself. No offense Ray, but sounds like you have some kooks in your legislature. Probably came from California. If I were you, I'd contact Rep. Shields and do two things. First, educate him about personal submersibles and that not every one who owns one is "wealthy". And second, remind him that sponsoring laws for the sake of sponsoring laws just makes him look stupid. And that stereotyping, even against a supposedly easy target like the "wealthy", can typically make one look like an idiot when they haven't done their homework to back up the justification for their legislative bills. Then hand him a mirror, tell him to look in it, and ask him what he sees.

Ray Keefer wrote:
Hi Gang,

I am not sure if I should laugh or cry. On the front page of the Oregonian was an article about our state legislature looking at taxing personal submarines.