Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] sealing of plexi windows.

I looked at how to seal the flat plexi windows, and settled on the "Sika" way, first because it doesn't require extra machining of O ring grooves, and it just seems that a larger sealing surface is not as dependant on accuracy.
With the 3 inch thick plexi disk, and a 2 inch landing flange, there's 5 inches of sika gasket that the water has to get through to reach the inside of the hull.
With an O ring, there's only about 1/4 inch of seal, where the O ring actually contacts the plexi disk.
The bad thing about this is I'm guessing there's no way you're gonna get that disk out of there and save it if you wanted to remove it for some reason. Pretty much guaranteed the disk will be destroyed getting it out.
I'm thinking the absolute best way is to use conical disks seated in sika in a matching conical seat, but that's gotta be pretty expensive to make something like that. I'm no machinist so anything that needs machining must be hired out. Having a small check book means designing things as simple as possible. Frank D.