Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] 2 Man Sub From Boston?

I called the current owner and went to visit it today. The owner is in MA, but the sub is in NH near south end of Lake Winnipesaukee. The owner did not have a lot of details about the sub and did not know any specifics about rated depth or even the thickness of the hull. And unfortunately I did not bring a ruler or tape measure with me so couldn't get detailed specs either. I'll be uploading photos and send another email when I've got them published on the website.

The hull is between 7-8 feet in diameter (closer to 8, but again I had to estimate) and no way to accurately determine thickness without some measuring tools. Conning tower and tubes for viewports look like 5/16 thickness material and both are welded perpendicular to the hull forming a "tee". Inside, the end of each viewport tube is level with the interior of the hull. Welding was around the viewport tubes. You'll see the detail in the photos when I post them.

Hatch appears to be either 1/4 or 5/16 inch and is only slightly dished. The o-ring groove in the conning tower ring (nope, not in the hatch) seems quite large and is between 5/16 - 3/8 inch wide. The interior had a lot of surface rust "dust". It got all over my shoes and in some places looked like the "rusticles" you might have seen from photos of the Titanic.

No ballast on this sub. The pods underneath are for batteries and are large, estimated at 14-16 inch diameter. The sub had one motor which came straight out the back. Motor was located inside the sub, shaft went out mid point of where the two tank heads were welded together. Lots of small 3/8 inch pipe fittings in the front, along with a piston arm of some kind so there could have been a hydraulic manipulator arm attached at some point in the past.

Interior was roomy and would easily hold three people my size. There were two fairly large tanks inside which were probably related to buoyancy control, although they appeared to be light aluminum.

That's all for now, let me get the photos up and they might answer some questions.