Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] CO2 Scrubber Design

Jon.

Thanks for an excellent presentation on the topic.

I would just like to add the following point regarding any increase in the
O2 percentage inside a submarine:

"Even a small increase in the oxygen level in the air to 24% can create a
dangerous situation. It becomes easier to start a fire, which will then
burn hotter and more fiercely than in normal air. It may be almost
impossible to put the fire out. A leaking valve or hose in a poorly
ventilated room or confined space can quickly increase the oxygen
concentration to a dangerous level."

[ Ref: "Take care with oxygen, Fire and explosion hazards in the use of
oxygen". http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/hse8.pdf ]

Best regards,
Jens Laland

PS. Even your own clothes may self-ignite under such conditions.

**
** Go to PSUBS.ORG top menu
** Resources & Reference -> Design & Fabrication -> Design Tools
**
** Now on left menu, click "Life Support", then on right side click "CO2
** Scrubber".