Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] hydraulic control system

Hi Hugh. It's true that the actuators aren't real fast. My dive plane's linkage needs a 4 inch stroke, which means from full up to full down in 2 seconds. That's still fast enough to change direction. Faster would be nice, but how fast does it really need to be ? It's possible to make the stroke 1/4 inch by changing the linkage but it requires more power, (a stronger actuator). It's a trade off.
The faster it travels, the less accurate the position.
I found some nice clean actuators with a 4 inch stroke at $100 each that fit nice where I want to mount them. I found some rubber bellows that fit on them, and mounting is real easy.
The biggest plus is the simplicity. Just two wires and a toggle switch. Not much there to break and if it does get whacked by something, I can replace the whole assembly in the field in about 15 minutes. Carrying a couple of spares on the truck won't cost much, so little bottom time is lost. Frank D.