To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Monday, January 26, 2009 12:27 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Member News

Hi Jens,

I don't dictate the pricing, I just asked if they would provide a discount and this is the pricing they provided. In regards to the shipping price, the problem they run into is the same one that we run into. Shipping prices outside the US can be both cheap and expensive depending upon where the destination is. Without a shipping calculator that is smart enough to identify the country and calculate the exact shipping price at the time of check out (in the case of online purchases) you have to charge the highest possible price for shipping to cover every possible country where someone might want a book shipped. It's a problem, but not one easily resolved. Amazon, Barnes/Noble, and other large suppliers have software supplied from carriers such as FedEX and UPS which they use to accurately calculate shipping costs. We use PayPal, and they do not offer that service (at least that I am aware of).

In regards to discounts for orders headed outside the US generally, Mike Stachiw said, "The real "trick" is the shipping. In the US I think we cover our costs, but international in some cases we are giving the book away due to shipping costs..."

Those are his exact words. I can sympathize with him because I recall Ray Keefer shipping one of Kittredge's books to a remote location which cost as much in shipping, as it did for the book. The book sells for $10 and after the cost of packaging and shipping, poor George ended up with nothing. You can check this out yourself by going to FedEX, UPS, or USPS and checking the cost of shipping to various places around the world. You'll see how much it varies.

In regards to the difference in price of the book itself, I also recognized that and raised it as an issue with Mike Stachiw suggesting that the pricing for the book be the same regardless of destination, but just bump up the shipping as necessary. He may have been reluctant to do this since $100.00 for shipping would definitely be extreme. However, I don't believe there are any evil intentions here and that he is simply trying to ensure that in extreme cases he has some buffer in the sales price of the book as well as the shipping, to ensure they recover their money.

So here is an alternative for you. If you become a PSUBS member and you want to purchase the book, go to www.usps.gov and figure out what the shipping cost is from zip code 03281 in the USA, to your location. Then you can buy the book at the $140.00 price, pay $15 in shipping to have Stachiw send the book to me, and then pay the shipping costs from me (03281 in USA) to you. Based upon your experience buying books in the US, that sounds like it will cost you $140 for the book and about $35 in total shipping. However, be aware that I will only ship via US Postal Service. The nearest FedEx and UPS facilities are an hour away from me and it is not feasible for me to offer that option to you.

Jon

Jens Laland wrote:
Jon

I guess I'm still considering to become a fully, qualified member of the
psubs organization by paying my annual $35.

However, I have real problems believing what you just said about the
negotiated member discount.

I buy one or two books from your country each and every month, and most of
those books are being send to me in Norway by USPS Global Priority Mail
(i.e. Flat-Rate Envelope) for about $15 to $20. However, the exagerated
shipping cost on the Handbook of Acrylics is not my main issue here. My
main issue is:

How can I ever become a fully, qualified member of the psubs organization
when the organization do not practice (negotiating) equal member rights
(discounts)?

Furthermore, how come the extra $25 if you buy a single copy of the book
from across the border of the USA?

Best regards,
Jens Laland

our server receiving your request.