Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Side Thruster Removal on K-250 #118

Hi Brent. Good pics. What type of paint was used on George's subs? I see where the rust has gotten pretty bad in some spots, and I wonder if it's caused by simple lack of maintenance, or not enough protection in the first place. Heavy zinc paint stands up well if maintained properly. Where two components are bolted together, there are several solutions to prevent rust. Delrin disks, bushings inside the bolt holes, judicious painting of all exposed parts, stainless, anodes, and lots of other ideas/methods are easy solutions.
I designed my sub so I can dis-assemble it quickly and easily for maintenance/repair. I should be able to strip it down to the bare hull and re-assemble it in a day, with minimal tools. That way I will be able to get it clean after dives, and touch-up any paint that needs it, without having to sit in the shop for a week. I like the idea of putting plastic/nylon bushings in the bolt holes. Stainless bolts and nylon/stainless washers, so the potential for rust is lessened. There are some places where I'll be using brass bolts with stainless nuts, and some places where I'll use lead bolts with stainless nuts. I have some parts that need to be very strong, and others that are designed to break-away if needed. Brass fasteners are good in some spots because they may need to be drilled out for removal. Here's a quick sketch of one place where it's needed.
Because the fairing covers the mounting tab, I'll be welding a stainless nut onto the bottom of the tab. The brass bolt head can be cut/ground off if need be to remove the fairing. The nylon bushing keeps the different metals from corroding together, and once the brass bolt head is gone, the bushing and fairing can be lifted off. Then some vise grips will pull out the brass bolt, or if needed, drill out the bolt because it's soft. This of course will only be necessary if I don't maintain that particular connection and allow it to get crusty.
Spare bushings, washers, brass bolts, etc are just a few things to carry along in the field for repairs/maintenance. I want to be able to repair this thing with a minimum of tools when I'm out some where remote. Frank D.