RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Underwater comms: texting.

The below thread is for the UTC comm unit.  The homing feature is quite nice.

"SOS / Homing Procedure
The UDI SOS and Homing features allow direct navigation to a diver who has sent an emergency SOS message or to a boat unit that has transmitted a homing signal.

SOS
: A diver in distress can send an SOS signal to other divers or to a boat unit. The receiving diver acknowledges the SOS call and receives graphical 3D instructions on his UDI unit that allow him to navigate his way to the diver in distress and provide assistance.

Remote SOS
: If a diver suspects that his buddy or a nearby diver may be in distress, he or she can send a remote SOS signal to the diver. If the diver does not require assistance, he can choose to disable the signal. If he does not disable it, and is, in fact, in distress, receipt of the Remote SOS activates his unit to send an SOS.
The SOS signal is received by the other divers using the UDI system, allowing them to navigate to the diver in distress following the graphical instructions on their clear view screens.

Homing: When a diver sends a Remote Homing message to a boat unit, the boat unit transmits a homing signal that enables the diver to easily locate the boat. He then follows the graphical instructions on his screen and easily locates his target.
UDI’s advanced navigation and SOS features ensure diving safety of unprecedented levels. "

http://www.utc-digital.com/contentpr.asp?cid=79&pr=38

Szybowski