RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] MBT valve

Jay,  I was thinking of making the grooves some what deeper and larger so that if any sand got in the grooves it might still seal properly.  Since sand might sit the the grooves I was thinking that reversing the position of the grooves to the land side and installing the gasket onto the piston might better keep the sand flushed out.  I was also considering making the soft gasket a bit thicker so it would resist overall deforming better. Perhaps the gasket could be attached in a conical shape to the piston, much like the shape of my current plunger, so the sand couldn't sit on it as easily, then if it was flat.  Of course then the grooved surface would need to match that angle.

Szybowski

From: bottomgun@mindspring.com
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] MBT valve
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 14:26:36 -0500

Brent,

I didn’t reply fully to your previous post.  The lands could be fewer/further apart but I wouldn’t make them taller.  You want them to be depressed in the low durometer gasket material but you don’t want too much deformation of the gasket as it will speed its deterioration/shorten its life.

R/Jay

Respectfully,

Jay K. Jeffries

Andros Is., Bahamas

As scarce as the truth is, the supply has always been in excess of the demand.

    -Josh Billings