Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] LED Lighting Options

Ya, with a big flashlight in the cabin, I'm sure reflections will be a problem, not to mention the heat.
On building a dive light....... If you have say 6 or 12 of the LED's in a mirrored tube with a parabolic reflector in the back,  and a lens set-up like the Maglites have, seems like you could focus the beam.
If the LED's are arranged along the perimeter, and the spacing is correct, it should be possible to get the curve on the reflector to focus the individual lights into one larger beam, then use the lens on the front to focus it further. I think I've got some old lenses around here somewhere.....might be a fun thing to play with.
Maybe the back reflector would need to be a segmented dome shape made of pie-shaped triangles, with each triangle angled so it directs the LED that's closest. Each triangle/pie-shaped segment would need to have a parabolic curve to capture and focus as much light as possible from it's corresponding LED.
I have a glass "diamond" about 3 inches in diameter. I think I'll try putting some small seed lights on it and see what happens.
Anyway, a housing would be a snap to make, and I like Brent's idea of using 18 volt tool batteries. They charge quickly and can be replaced easily. ( Although they are a little expensive to buy )
If I find anything useful I'll pass it along. Frank D.