Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] ACRYLIC DOME SIZE

Alan,

I can't address the diameter issue. I suppose whatever is personally comfortable for you, is appropriate.

The underpressure software likely does not take into account remnants of free-form blowing such as variable thickness and shape of the "sphere". Additionally, if you are planning on using the equatorial flange that is a typical remnant of free-form blowing, the dimensions of the flange, heel radius, and instep radius must meet specific requirements. The software does not take these factors into account.

It's impossible to attribute any kind of consistency in performance with free-form blown acrylic spheres because fabrication results in so many variables. Be sure to perform multiple tests of the dome to whatever maximum depth you are looking to achieve (preferably with a safety factor), prior to any "manned" dive.

Jon

ALAN JAMES wrote:
Hi, I'm trying to get an acrylic dome blown locally and need to draw from psubers experience as to what the minimum diameter is that I could use and live with comfortably. I'm in a sitting position with my head inside the dome. I have a 500 mm thin dome I am using on a full scale mock up, but the firm I bought it off is doubtful that they can blow a 20 mm thick sheet to 500 mm. Another firm is confident it can do a 450 mm O/D at 20 mm thick (18 mm at the apex.) This would give me a 410 mm I/D. Is this too small? I know condensation could be a problem the closer my face gets to the acrylic. I'm doing the pressure calculations on the "Under Pressure 4.5" free program, what a God send that is for a psub designer. Heres the link if anyone out theres designing a sub and doesn't
know about it.
http://www.deepsea.com/upwindownload/
Interested to here what your opinion is on dome size
regards Alan.