RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Soft ballast venting valve

Jay,
         On my design I have this large soft ballast tank that happens to be
made out of ferro-cement, it's basically a large volume for getting me as
far out of the water as possible for surface operations. It has a interior
displacement of  4800 lbs.  Thats a volume of around 74 cu ft  and then
considering the wieght in water of the ferro skin of approximatly 600 lbs.
This ballast structure is going to be lifting the equivilent of a K-350 out
of the water, exept my cylindar will have a bit different dimensions.
These figures are a bit sketchy  because in the calculations I rounded off
some parts of the sturucture to make it less complicated to to figure out
and I'm not entirely confident in the wieght calculation of the
ferro-cement structure.  The wieght of ferro sturcture could vary anywhere
from 8 lbs/ sq ft  to   12 lbs/ sq ft  so I won't really know that until I
get it in the water.  Anyway I want to be able to "pull the plug" on the air
in the ferro ballast and not have to wait around for a hundred years to go
under, that's why I'm looking for large valves for that function.  Those
valves will not see any pressure so bronze may allow for a larger opening.
Or maybe a mushroom valve.

Brian