RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Stanley Submarines Back Up & Runnin

Hey Greg,

It's a interesting story to follow. The footage of the six gills eating the horse was taken by the National Geographic folks and should air soon. Perhaps they have postponed the airing to see how bad the flack will be.  I've seen some still pictures of it, and it's pretty wild.

I thought the Honduran sales tax was pretty high being at 12% and though at first that perhaps it was a penalty just for Karl, but 12% is the norm for Honduras since it jumped from 7% in 1998.

"Is it safe?

The deep diving submersible Idabel is not classed or insured due to extreme overhead cost and paperwork involved. I personally got involved with submersibles to explore the oceans, not deal with inspectors, lawyers and insurance agents. I have, however, incorporated most safety systems that any classed and insured submersible would have. This submarine you will be riding in is the result of over 24 years of dedicated effort on my part to design the best vehicle possible. As of the spring of 2008, the two vessels I have designed and built have made well over 1000 dives. The worst injury anyone suffered during this was scratching their forehead in the process of boarding.
Some safety features of Idabel include:
  • Twin high-pressure air systems
  • 350 pound drop weight
  • 3 days of life support
  • VHF radio and cell phone carried for surface communication
  • Fully redundant propulsion systems designed so that if any battery bank, motor or switch fails, the sub will make it back to the dock under her own power"

http://www.stanleysubmarines.com/faqs/index.php

Regards,

Szybowski