From: bottomgun@mindspring.com
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Hard Pontoon or Saddle Tank Options
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 09:10:59 -0500

Brent,

Nice floats…something you would need to be concerned about with this method is the strength of the aluminum piping struts.  While towing your sub with these floats on the surface, frictional drag and wave slap will impart high loadings on the pipes.  The longer the struts, the greater the moment forces will be at the juncture at the mounting point on the sub’s hull.

Another issue to be concerned with is the painting of aluminum.  You are often better off leaving aluminum uncoated.  Due to its high sacrificial nature in the Galvanic series, all of the sacrificial corrosion will be focused at a scratch in the coating’s surface vice evenly distributed over the entire aluminum structure when uncoated (i.e. a deep pit/crevice vs. a thin surface corrosion).

R/Jay

Respectfully,

Jay K. Jeffries

Andros Is., Bahamas

As scarce as the truth is, the supply has always been in excess of the demand.

    -Josh Billings