Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Removing Front MBT

Hi Brent. I like the inflatable pontoon idea. That makes a lot of sense.
 You should be able to fabricate FRP ballast tanks easily in any shape you like using the existing ballast tanks as a partial mold so the new ones fit the hull. That way you can save the originals for historical reasons.
With the new stainless straps replacing the old steel ones, the seal should work. George designed a simple and strong method of attachment that has worked for many years. Upgrading to stainless is relatively inexpensive while maintaining the simplicity of his design. Still, I'd consider a full envelope design and eliminate the seal altogether. It could be fairly simple to just add a bottom and end to the tanks using the same attachment design, just eliminating the need for an airtight seal at the hull.
I look forward to seeing your new tower assembly. That has to be great addition if you can get it to work.
Greg C. told me about his testing that design in his pool and said it worked great. Good luck and keep the great pictures coming. Frank D.