Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Lifting K-250 Off Trailer the Hard Way

Hi Brent. I always thought the ballast tanks on the K boats should be made to look more like a WWII sub. Not only for looks, but also for towing. An increased capacity, with a flat deck, would give you a place to stand on deck while at the surface. Dan's blue sub has a nice flat deck and his saddle tanks aren't all that large, but the sub is very stable even when he walks around the deck from front to back. To me, it seems to make sense to have larger ballast tanks so the tower sits higher when at the surface. The only downside is it takes a little more air to blow them.
On the outboard motor pressure surround......Sounds like a good idea but very complicated, and probably very heavy. That's why I designed mine to take the motor off when diving. A small 20 horse motor only weighs about 75 pounds and can easily be lifted off and stowed inside or transferred to a surface boat.
The back plate on my sub is 3/4 inch steel plate, and a little outboard can mount directly on it, with the thruster linkage doing the steering. A 2-1/2 gallon gas can with hold-down straps will motor me around several miles on the surface, and can easily be removed with the motor.
Ultimately I'd like to add a new rear section that includes a pass through hatch, on-board diesel/gen set, additional battery banks, sleeping bunks, and small galley. This would make long distance travel possible, like a weekend cruise down the coast. Frank D.