[PSUBS-MAILIST] DSV-4 (ex-Sea Cliff) & DSV-3 Turtle FRP Fabricator.

I can't believe my luck lately in regards to furthering my submarine goals. I was just down to one of four local hardware stores looking for a way to operate the valve on the bottom of my sandblasting pot without having to reach way underneath the pot. In doing so, I met a gentleman by the name of Joe Hurst. I then asked him to assist me in cutting some window screening for use in my sand cleaning assembly for blasting my submarine.

As it turns out Joe was once in the Navy doing a lot of the FRP, syntactic foam, and other composite work on the Sea-Cliff, Turtle, DSRV's, and other subs.

He was telling me about how they used a cement mixer to mix syntactic foam up.

I showed him a couple of pictures of my K-250 and he's very interested in assisting me. I'll be visiting with him at his home shortly. To have a very local guy like this, is just amazing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_Submergence_Rescue_Vehicle

"DSV-4 (ex-Sea Cliff) is a 25-ton, manned deep-ocean research submersible owned by the United States Navy. It is sister to DSV-3 Turtle, Alvin (DSV-2), and also an Alvin class Deep Submergence Vehicle."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSV_Sea_Cliff

http://www.nvr.navy.mil/nvrservicecraft/details/DSV4.htm

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://users.skynet.be/RonSubCovers/DSRV/Sea%2520Cliff%25202.jpg&imgrefurl=http://users.skynet.be/RonSubCovers/DSRV/DSV-4.htm&h=334&w=432&sz=14&tbnid=UZ3zZxtoL_QJ::&tbnh=97&tbnw=126&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dseacliff%2Bsubmarine%2Bpicture&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=1&ct=image&cd=1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSV-3_Turtle

It looks like the DSV-3 Turtle is now at the Mystic Aquarium.

http://www.mysticaquarium.org/ANIMALSEXHIBITS/Exhibits/ChallengeoftheDeep/tabid/170/Default.aspx

Regards,
Brent Hartwig