Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Why build a submarine?

Hi guys. I was just wondering what motivates us to build these subs. Is there a commonality to the desire for one's own sub? I know some of us want to go see what's out there. Others may have more specific goals in mind.
For myself, it started long ago, probably when I was just a kid. 20,000 leagues was one big motivator. I've always had an interest in the sea, maybe because I grew up on the beach.
I want to get some cool videos of sharks, whales, octopus, canyons, cliffs, and a whole long list of things. That would probably be the main reason for me.
Ship wrecks is another magnet for me. Hell, even some old cars would be fun to go see.
Salvage is another task that might be fun. Not sure how that would work from a submarine though. Seems like you'd have to scuba dive if you wanted to pick something up.
A lot of the fun for me is just building the thing. Thinking up solutions, trying them out, testing the design or device and seeing what works and what doesn't.
Then there's the risk factor. Lots of the most fun things in life carry a certain amount of risk. Anticipating these risks, and planning around them is good brain practice.
I don't think a little sub will ever pay for itself, so money is not the issue. Adventure? ya! that's one of the reasons. Doing something very few have done before? ya, another good one.
Some of the guys are contemplating big live-aboard boats. So travel is important to them. That would be pretty cool, to sail some where far away in a sub. Anchor in a harbor, dinghy in for a cold beer, some groceries, and meet some new people. Much like a sail boat but with a twist. Most of the people I've met traveling around on their boats have a fun seeker attitude. Being free on the open ocean is something that comes up often in conversations with them. Don't mind me, just thinking out loud. Frank D.