RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Oil drum submarine

Sorry, this is off topic but the comment about shutting down the
internet before someone gets hurt made me remember something pretty
funny. I actually know someone who more or less tried to do that.

I was an IT consultant at an insurance firm when email was becoming
popular. My client banned the use of email by its employees. Why?
Because if an employee said something unauthorized such as criticizing a
nearby restaurant, it was sure to bring the restaurant's lawyers down
upon us. All written communications going outside the company had to go
through the legal department. Can you believe that was as recent as
1994?

I think there's great value to us in seeing and discussing what the
fellow in China has put together. I concur with everyone else it's a
death trap, and I also share others' dread of being legislated out of
existence. But I'd rather fight stupid legislation should it appear,
than fight an honest dreamer. When I notice safety risks in someone's
project, and I have an email address for them, I just write to them off
list and try to be diplomatic so they don't tune out the critique.

Thanks,

Alec