RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Optima Battery Data

Brent,

THE chlorine gas forms from the acid mixing with seawater.

R/Jay

From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of Brent Hartwig
Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 3:10 AM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Optima Battery Data

Thanks for the information Alec. I was in a battery store today that sells a lot of Optima batteries, and they donated a used red top battery to me to do some destructive testing on.  They do have two small vents on the upper corners. But they are very different of course then your standard lead acid batteries removable caps. The guy said that if one of those vents pops out that the battery is dead.

Also if the charge gets to low then they will stay dead and they should have special computer changing units that can charge them with a constant voltage. He also said that I don't need to space or ventilate them for heat issues. The guy didn't know all that I wanted to know about them, so I'll have to keep digging.

Is chlorine gas produced from the poles on a regular lead acid battery, or from the interior if saltwater gets inside?

There are three power sizes of deep cycle Blue Top Optima's.  But two of them are the same physical size.

34M and D34M model is    10" L   x   6 7/8" W   x  7 13/16" H   and they are 38.4 lbs and 43.5 lbs respectivly.

D31M model is         12 13/16" L  x  6.5" W   x  9 3/8" H   and the weight is 59.8 lbs.

Regards,
Brent Hartwig