Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Penetration problems

Hi Frank;

I don't mean to second guess you, and I suppose it doesn't matter since the terminals aren't expected to be exposed to the marine environment, but in general, bronze (copper + tin) is a better choice than brass (copper + zinc) because zinc is leached out of brass in the marine environment by galvanic action.  In this application, I don't see a problem with brass.  I don't know about their respective conductive properties, but I assume they're similar.

Generally, bronze is more expensive and harder to find, but here is a link for bronze fasteners:
and for bronze threaded rod:

I read with interest your use of ball valves for emergency shut-off for electrical through-hull connections.  Very slick.  I assume the valves are exercised regularly on a maintenance schedule?

Thanks for your descriptions... I can now visualize the hardware and fabrication.

Stan

Stan