[PSUBS-MAILIST] Vancouver/Florida potential PSUB Conference sites

Frank,

I am looking forward to the convention in Vancouver also.  Have to imagine all of the unique submarine items to be found at Phil’s facility.  Only had the opportunity to visit Victoria on the Canadian side of the border (seems like a slice of England).  The San Juan Islands are great to cruise through or if short for time, take the ferry and get a great tour.  The Olympia Peninsula on the US side has some of the best scenery that I have seen in the States.  In all of the visits I had to make to the Bangor Sub Base and the nearby Naval shipyard, never made time unfortunately to visit the museum at Keysport.

As far as planning for a Conference in Florida, we have searched for an inland site with crystal clear water and access to both shallow and deep waters for sub trials.  Unfortunately while the three exist, access by submersible is doubtful (unless we have a member with a crane in Florida).  Even trying to meet two of the three conditions is difficult.  As an alternative, we have been considering a variety of salt water sites.  One possibility is in the Ft. Pierce area where an offshore facility may be available and the harbor area as a fall back in the event of foul weather.  Additional attractions for PSUBbers in the area include the world renowned Harbor Branch facility with its submersibles, oceanographic research facilities, and museum.  This is now part of the State university system.  Also in the area is the Underwater Demolition Team (UDT)/SEAL Museum which has one or more wet subs on display (Ft. Pierce is the home of the Navy frogmen).  Hopefully this will come together.

R/Jay

Respectfully,

Jay K. Jeffries

Andros Is., Bahamas

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.
- Mario Andretti

Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal.
- Henry Ford