Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] New Submarine Project... Need Input.

Hi Bruce,

My name is Lawrie and I live on the east coast of Australia.

My background is that I am an environmental engineer with one year mechanical engineering and reasonable knowledge about fuild mechanics and hydrualics. I work at oil refineries during maintenance with fitters and turners, and boiler makers. I am telling you this so you can gauge my advice from these perspectives.

I have built a few models and experimented with different hull shapes with a few to a 12 m boat or in the Queen's english a 40 footer for a sea going quest to our Artic waters south of here.

This is what I have found may fit your requirements generally.

Firstly, one might chose to use bioler plate steel which is a fine grain carbon steel with the right additives to make it heat workable and weldable. Heaps of companies around these days to press it into hemispheres from one piece. In other words, not segmented.

The most economical hemisphere in terms of strengh, weight for length and beam of proposed boat is 1590 mm inside diameter of 20 mm thickness. Join the two halves with rolled steel section 40 mm of a width between the two of 600 mmm.

Forget about concern of weight because your building a big boat not a compact submarine.

This gives your central pressure vessel (crew compartment) an over length of length of 2200 mm which is approximately 1/3 of your overall displacement taking into account tapers at each end.

Make your hull at one third back from the bow oval of a beam of 2200 mm and depth of 1600 mm with a draft of 1200 mm once I explain what else I have learnt form my models and calculations. Noting of course that your hemispheres are at right angles to the keel and that a foward and aft hatch which are also horizontal take you into the forward and aft floatation (air) sections of your boat that are dry when surfaced.

Use your rolled mid section for placement of viewports and periscope. Onto top of your hull is your deck another 400 mm above which is thus 800 mm above the water line. Build below your deck line over top of your floatation airs a wheel house section with plenty of windows and a large air tight hatchway to the top of your deck.

Keep your periscope, air intakes and outtakes and over items with a conning tow with a width of 400 mm leaving lots of room either side to move about the deck which is about 860 mm in width at its widest point.

For the bow and stern two spheres each of an inside diameter of 800 mm of 10 mm bioler plate steel which is the minimum that can be successfully heat molded with segmenting your pressure hull. Fill each half full with oil and arrange a two way oil pump within your crew compartment to control trim.

When on the surface put all your oil in the stern pressure vessel to raise bow a little and when level submerged have the equal in each, and when diving most in the bow. Forget about a forward plane you only need a stern one because unlike a compact submarine your long enough but not too long to control your boat using weight and a single stern plane.

My calculations show a diesel of 65 hp is sufficent for 8 knots surfaced.
House your motor in pressure vessel separate to everything else. Have a single shaft and a four blade prop designed for about 1100 rpms. Have a swing in connection for a 25 hp electric motor which will get you about 6 knots when submerged just below the water. Run your diesel at low rpm to keep the charge balanced with output. Also keep your rpms for your prop at 1100 when running your electric motor. Suggest finding an electric motor designed for a tank turret. The one I have has great torque and consumption of energy is fair, not brilliant but very adequate for this arrangement.

Whales swim most efficiently at 6 foot below the surface and so will your boat so it makes up for the inefficency due to losses caused by a change from mechanical to electrical energy.

Use a snokle and run decks awashed and you will see your Island on less fuel than you can imagine. Along the way take a dive. The hull and the right bits and pieces will give you comportable 200 m dive depth.

Best of luck in your design and let me know what you learn as well.

Cheers from Ozz, Lawrie