Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST]

On May 24, 2008 16:36:28 Hugh Fulton wrote:
> I would like to ask a question which I have struggled with in that the ABS
> specifies hull thickness of no less than 0.375” excluding corrosion
> allowance and yet Kittredge designs are supposedly to ABS and are ¼”
> thick.. can anyone explain how  they claim to be ABS design.
>
> Hugh

I'm having difficulty finding that particular rule in the ABS regs.  Which
section is the 0.375" minimum in?  Regardless, I am pretty sure that the K
subs would fail ABS on many metrics other than hull strength, so the
discussion is somewhat academic.  One should note, however, than any
diversions from the ABS regs may be subject to "special consideration" at the
request of the designer and discretion of ABS, so a strictly non-compliant
hull could slip through that loophole if it was justified.

-Sean