Sent: Friday, May 09, 2008 4:14 AM
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] a-455 steel

Help :
I have just been offered a steel  tank that has the makings of a shallow  diving sub . It is around 41 inches in dia and about 18 feet long .It is made of A-455 steel 5/16th thick, which is a recommended pressure vessel steel. I would shorten the shell to around 8 to 10ft. and place the T- bands every 24 inches. but that is the problem. I am not located in an industrial area and have been unable to find any information on welding this type of steel. I think the tank is very similar to what Dan Brewer started with. If anyone can provide any insight it will be a great help. the tank is old but a mechanical engineer told me that is not a bad thing as time has most likely stress relieved it, but inspect it for corrosion. This will not be a problem after I cut one end off (so much for the stress relief).
Jim it good to see you progressing so well with your project . I know this is your busy time at work, but should make another trip west you are welcome here.
thanks
Randy