Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] VBT

Hi Frank,

A couple of suggestions on monitoring tank level on the VBT....first, check out an RV store or marine store...they have holding tank level gauges that can use either internal or external sending units. The other option is to modify a gas tank sending unit by extending the float arm and replacing the float with syntactic foam, then just use a "gas gauge"!

Dan H. put a pressure gauge on the VBT of Persistance so he could monitor the internal pressure....you could use that at depth with the vent open to determine how full the tank is based on pressure at depth.

Hope some of these ideas are useful.

Al Secor

Quoting ShellyDalg@aol.com:

Hi Brian.  (" tapping on the side" ) That's definitely low tech,  but not
quite as accurate as I'd like. I think that with a little practice, a guy should
be able to approximate what level is needed to achieve neutral  buoyancy.
That level can then be repeated as long as other factors affecting  buoyancy
remain constant. However, changes in temperature, salinity, and depth ( it's much
colder at depth around here ) can require small adjustments that  only a VBT
can provide. If I start out at a river mouth launch site where  there's very
little salt in the water, and then motor out to the ocean, the  difference in
buoyancy, although not that large, would make adjustments  necessary. This
scenario is typical of where I plan to dive. Both of the local harbors near here are situated on rivers. With a displacement of 900 gallons, the difference in
salinity/water density will make a difference. I'll need some  way to set the
level in the tank about half way full, and then repeat that level
consistently on following dives with out time/energy consuming re-balancing the boat to
neutral.
I'll be carrying lead bricks on the inside for major weight changes like a
passenger or additional equipment for a specific dive, and the drop weight is
adjustable also with a little wrenching, but being able to repeat a level of
buoyancy consistently when all other factors remain constant should make
multiple dives easier and faster. I want to maximize the useful time spent
submerged without spending too much time adjusting for neutral. Did you see the
composite propane tank link Greg put up ? that looks promising.
I'm still not sure how big the tank needs to be. It's probably not that
critical, but the amount of fine adjustment needed is affected by several
variables. And then there's the amount of air it takes to change that level. If you
can set the level at the surface, it takes only a little air. If you need to
make adjustments at 300 ft. then it takes a lot more air, and then you've got
a  pressurized cylinder inside the sub with water in it. That will need to be
dumped once you get back to the surface. Of course, I've never actually done
any  of this before, so maybe I'm over thinking it. I'm certain there's going
to be  some design changes needed after I get this thing wet. Some of them
will undoubtedly be expensive fixes. I just want to avoid dangerous mistakes.
Frank D.

favorites at AOL Food.

Al Secor