From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org]On Behalf Of ShellyDalg@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 12:41 PM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] VBT

Hi Ray. I imagine piloting through "total blackness" with no instruments is nerve wracking. I'm looking forward to seeing the little piezo electric sonar device at this years convention that David's been designing. Should have some real benefit during those times when visibility is nil.
On VBT's..... how do we size that tank? My sub will weigh around 6700 lbs on land. With room for two people, but often with just me inside. I wouldn't have a problem with loading/unloading some lead ballast but I still want a VBT for small adjustments. Is there a rule-of-thumb on a percentage basis or something that is accepted as the norm? Needless to say, room inside is a concern for a hardened tank, which will take up considerably more space than just it's internal volume. I was thinking something like an extra aluminum scuba tank would be enough, and would tuck neatly into an area near the bottom. If something much larger is needed, then the best option seems to locate it outside. That means extra plumbing and more drag when moving.
Another question, how do the guys know how much water is inside it? I was thinking that with the tank inside, I could fab a spring loaded sling for it, and approximate it's weight with a dial indicator on it's total weight. ( I'm trying to keep all the systems as " electronic free " as possible. ) I suppose a sight glass would be possible, but I'm just not that comfortable with that idea. The sling would only have to have an inch or two of travel, and could be calibrated fairly closely to indicate the water volume in there. First though, gotta know how big it needs to be. Any thoughts on this ? Frank D.