Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] PSUBS in BoatU.S.

Hi Alec. The "deck" on the front fairing is 20 inches below the top where the hatch tube connects to the dome, or 3 inches higher than center. I don't really know where the water line will be while surfaced, but it calculates to about that point. Yes, that will put the side motors half out of water, while the main motors with rudders will remain submerged. I had the mounts lower, but I just didn't like the look of it. I want the dive planes and fairing crease to all line up. I'll have to try it out and see how the position affects performance. Most traveling will be powered by  the rear motors/rudders, while the side motors are mostly for maneuvering while stationary. The rear motors will have three batteries  each, and the side motors will share a bank of three.
  Only one side motor at a time will be running, unless I need a quick burst of power ( all 4 motors running wide open ) or if I'm trying to spin on the axis ( One powering forward, the other powering reverse with no power from the rear motors.)
In the vertical position, the motors can pull the sub down ( reverse thrust ) or push the sub up ( forward thrust.)
The dive planes will work to dive the sub or raise it when some forward speed is attained without running the side motors at all.
It'll be interesting to see just how fast this thing will go. I'm thinking some where around 4 or 5 knots maybe.
Lots of trial and error, and some just plain guess work.
  I won't really know till I try it out. Never drove a sub before ! One thing's for sure, I'm gonna find out.
Frank D.