Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2008 1:24 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] radio link

If you want something that is tried and true and not half assed then
you need to go ultrasonic as Jay mentioned earlier.  The following
companies offer off the shelf solutions for underwater to surface comms:

www.ots.com

www.divelink.com

www.oceanreefgroup.com

There are a few others but these guys are the major players with OTS
probably being the top dog (I speaking strictly non commercial, non
military).

Ir you want reliable (mostly) and non-Mickey-mouse comm, this is the
way to go.  It's going to be somewhat pricey but hey, if we can afford
side scan sonar and all other types of expensive "toys" then a
reliable form of surface communication should be affordable.

Now, on a side note, I am working on a cheaper alternative using the
same basic design as the companies listed above.  My major stumbling
block is an affordable transducer which I am still looking for and
have not yet found.  Most of the ones I've located so far cost as
much, if not more than the costs of the entire units of the above
companies.  OTS acts very suspicious when I try to purchase a
"replacement transducer".....

I've mentioned in several previous posts that I am working on this and
pretty much get silence in return so I have to wonder how many people
are actually willing to step up and "pet the pony" and actually
purchase something like this.  I couldn't even get a response as to
what people view as an acceptable price to invest in something like
this would be.  Right now, my prototype is spoken for and is being
built for Dan H. for use on Persistance.  If I don't get any feedback,
this will likely be the only pair of units I will build.

Al Secor - Electrical Engineer for IBM, Ham Radio operator callsign WA3PWX