Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] oil vs. air compensation

The dielectric constant is a material property which indicates how resistant the material is to current flow through it. (incidentally, the "dielectric" is the material between conductors in capacitors and coaxial TV cables). A high dielectric oil is what you would find in a power transformer - i.e. mineral oil, which is good for immersing electronics, but not ideal for fluid power transmission (hydraulics). There are a variety of petroleum oils formulated with dielectric in mind, but silicone oils are probably better suited to all submarine applications, since they are non-flammable and do not produce the toxic byproducts of combustion that petroleum oils do. Look at Dow Corning 561 or something similar. Obviously, to minimize drag you want a low viscosity oil, but that may not be the primary consideration if you have, for example, other onboard oil systems and want one oil for all purposes. Definitely stick with silicone oils, though.

With regard to simply exposing a flexible bladder to sea, that does compensate the motor to ambient pressure, but there are a few disadvantages to this method that should be considered. Compensating to ambient only introduces the possibility of admitting seawater to the oil system in the event of a leak, and does not provide any indicator of oil loss in the event of a leak. Conversely, if you compensate with a slight positive pressure (accomplished by spring loading the exposed bladder, or by piping the oil back to a pressure controlled source), you ensure that in the event of a leak oil will leak out and not seawater in (disastrous in a motor), and you also have a visual indicator in the form of the bladder volume to alert you to the presence of leaks. By setting the system up initially at some volume less than the maximum possible, you allow for thermal expansion of the oil without affecting the compensation pressure. Additionally, having bleed points at high points in the system allows you to easily remove any air, as the positive pressure pushes it out. As part of the pre-dive, you would just crack all of the bleed caps until oil seeps out and not air and then tighten them again. This way, you verify that when you look at the bladder volume, that actually corresponds to oil volume and will not change unexpectedly as you dive.

-Sean

ShellyDalg@aol.com wrote:
Thanks Jim. I'll keep an open mind on what type of compensation for now. The Minnkotas are good for 50 feet with no compensation, so I'll be able to test launch and work out the bugs before I need to commit. I've heard that just a short flexible tube filled with oil and sealed to the housing is all it takes to compensate with oil. I've seem a couple like that, and it certainly looks to be the simplest method. That and the increased thermal conductivity are some of the advantages. The oil creates a little drag within the motor housing, and tends to get black from the arcing at the brushes so replacement is a regular maintenance task. I've also heard that vegetable oil is used. Have you heard what type of oil is best? There was a thread a while back talking about "di-electric" what ever that is.
I'll e-mail Greg ( about my plexi disks) and see what he says.
Frank D.

Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the video on AOL Home <http://home.aol.com/diy/home-improvement-eric-stromer?video=15&ncid=aolhom00030000000001>.