Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Drop Weight

In a message dated 3/21/2008 7:51:19 P.M. Central Daylight Time, vbra676539@aol.com writes:
Exploding bolts? In a submarine? How about a cyanide capsule, instead? That way your survivors don't have to waste all that time looking for pieces of you to bury. Vance

I strongly agree with Vance on this idea. In my opinion there is no place for anything that explodes
on a PSub. I have seen these types of bolts in my time in the military, and they do explode.
I would think getting them would be difficult and making them illegal.

I feel the only way is a good well thought out design.

And now on that subject the k boats design I feel have a draw back.
With the need to swing the weights to release, I can think of a scenario that it would be a
problem. If the sub was on bottom and negative buoyant in the rear, as a BT was ruptured and
or being entangled in the rear, releasing the rear will not allow the sub to rise and hence
releasing the weight. I know this is a reach but I do try to think about any problem that could
occur and a solution.

Dean