Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Drug "submarine-like" vessels in the news again.

In a message dated 3/20/2008 11:32:59 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, irox@ix.netcom.com writes:
http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/03/20/drug.subs/index.html
That whole thing is unfortunate for us legitimate guys who just want to film, sail, have fun, etc. I wonder if besides having your sub registered with CF numbers, there was something we as a group could do to lobby the guys making these laws, or maybe if we were a more organized group like a club with registered  membership or something, rather than a loose group with no official status, if we could have more impact as far as regulation of this sport. ( gotta make sure no one incurrs any liability say for accidents or what ever.)
I would think there are some parallels between subbing and flying in that respect. If you build your own experimental plane, do the same rules apply to one you bought? Some of the guys are pilots as well, any comments? You know if we just leave it up to politicians, we'll get screwed.
Would a new regulation or even ''ban'' apply to vessels for research? Or recreational use? or salvage work? or documentary filming?
How about exploration? That would be a tuff thing to prove. I wouldn't have a problem filing a '' flight plan'' like pilots do, but I wouldn't support a law sending me to jail for 20 years because I wanted to go putz around the bay. What about the rich guys and their multi-million $ toys?   Or how about some adventurous enough to build a live-a-board to sail the world.? This kind of crap sucks, but it is probably inevitable. Some kind of pro-active effort might help us. Anybody got any ideas? Frank D.