From: Dan. H. <jumachine@comcast.net>
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 11:37 am
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] k-350 Modifications

Dean,

You may not have a problem with your MBT valves located low.  The problem comes in when they are located above the waterline.  Depending on the depth of the bubble in the MBT, it may contain maybe one PSI of actual air pressure when inflated.  If the valve is high above the water line, the air pressure has to be high enough to blow any remaining water in the line up and out of the vent, on top of the valve.  On a K-350 it's often not enough so you have to open the hatch and lean out to blow in the vent tube to clear the line of water.  It works, but sure doesn't look professional. I bet if a sharp looking lady was piloting it would really drew attention.

After dealing with this problem, I installed a T and a short piece of tubing that blows a jet of air into the line from the MBT side by giving my fill valve a fast blast.  That clears the lines, but it's extra stuff to fix a problem.  Better to not have the problem in the first place.

The most unstable time in the sub is when your in that transition stage of "not on top" and "not submerged."  When a tank, whether it's fore and aft or side mounted, is partially above the water line, the sub is stable.  When tanks are below water they add lift but tend to be unstable.  The air bubble in a tank moves around (water sloshing) and acts on the sub with different amounts of leverage depending how far from the center the lift actually is.  That is, if the sub pitches nose down the bubble in the aft tank runs back farther it has more of a lifting effect on the aft part of the sub making it pitch even lower in the front.  Side tanks add another dimension to the problem.  Install baffles if it's long. If their small so are the problems with them but if they are large and totally below the water line, you'll have to be careful with them. Any tank if unstable when it's partly full of water and totally submerged.  You just have to work with it.

On the whole, the K-350 is a very stable sub.  It's almost impossible to role it over.  When surfaced I can stand on the side of the conning tower rim and it won't role to take on water.  When diving there is little effect on role when one side thruster is thrusting up and the other is thrusting down.  When a passenger moves from behind the pilot to the forward looking viewport the pitch changes by about 10 degrees.

My total weight added to dive my sub is, me at 160 pounds and about 400 pounds of lead weights.  My hull is of the two person design and pretty much to the plans as far as hull weight.  My side thrusters are probably each twenty pounds heavier then the original.  If your using Minkota thrusters you'll save a bunch of weight.  The K-thrusters as are heavy buggers.

I don't have the exact total weight in my head or here with me now, but it's a few pounds over 4000.

And I do agree about the plans.  They contain 97% of what you need, but from a professional drafting point, they leave 20 % more to be desired.  Did you get to the T bracket that isn't there yet? The important part is the hull, and it's pretty clear.  You may have to guess at some other small stuff but the important stuff is covered, except that dam T-bracket.  Mine is now a heavy triangle bracket of my own design.  I know it's heavy enough.

Happy Building, Dan H.