Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Home-Built Pinger

Al,

There are a lot of transducer manufactures.  ITC is on the high end.

We get most of our transducers from Sensor Technology Limited in Ontario. Mainly for price and their
willingness to do custom stuff for us.

Their web site is http://www.sensortech.ca/site/index.cfm. We do at times use ITC, primarily for
their low kHz ducers.  Yes, they are expensive.

Another company we have used in the past is airmar (http://www.airmar.com/)
Another "high end" http://www.massa.com/
If you do a search for ultrasonic transducer you may have more luck than say underwater acoustic transducer.

We actually have a transducer that would probably work, our standard transducer is nominally flat around 34-41 kHz and omni-directional. We have them with a seacon connector (MCBH2M) or a threaded stem. We list them at $400 for the one with the connector. We generally sell them as spares for our acoustic nav systems, but wouldn't have a problem selling them in Qty 1. I'm not sure what the current lead times would be.

You can probably get them direct from Sensors for less than $400. You can also get the naked ceramic and pot it yourself. This is usually MUCH cheaper.

One can defiantly pick up our transponder signals on the OTS systems (which we use in the field), so they should match your application pretty well.

BTW having a pinger (or transponder) close to the same frequency as your voice comms will drive you crazy, but at will let you
know that your pinger is working...

I can dig up the freq response and directivity if any one is interested.

Hope that helps,
-a

----- Original Message ----- From: "Al Secor" <wreckdiver@frontiernet.net>