Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Rainy day work

Frank

CP stands for cathodic protection, it can be measured using a silver/silver chloride half cell. What it does, basically, is to measure the potential between the steel and itself. If the steel is well protected it will show a potential reading of - 800 to - 1000 mV  Poor protected steel will be between -650 and -800mV

ICC Impressed Current Cathodic protection is when you protect the steel by applying current to it. The anod, or node, as it called in these systems would be from the top of the galvanic series, not the bottom. Materials such as titanium, platinised niobiumm and lead/silver alloys are used. Noble metals, virtually non-consumable anodes, can be used in this system because in  electrolytes of pH7 or less the anode reaction is the oxidation of water, rather than the metal dissolution.

However this system can shock your diver friend outside and should be turned off if a diver is present.

Øystein