[PSUBS-MAILIST] Change of heart

Gentlemen,

While you guys had the convention, I had a change of heart regarding the NR-2. The reason being that I just turned 47 this month. This wouldn't get built until well into my fifties.

I had 26 years between the time I joined the Navy and had my daughter. That was 26 years of good times in Margaritaville, fishing / diving with my buddies and, it is quite simply....over. The days of when I could take a buddy out and go on "patrol" with NR-2 for days at a time are quite simply gone and, are replaced with a totally different but yet wonderful lifestyle that I wouldn't trade for anything now.

But I've got the "fever" though, this is by no means going away. It's two years now into this, to the point of learning CAD and yacht design inspired by the thought of building a personal submersible, so it is by no means a "passing fancy."

A few weeks ago it occurred to me that I would still need a surface support vessel for my family to be able to go out with me in some degree of comfort. Some of you may remember a small tug on my frappr site, so I came up with a compromise version suitable for towing a submersible offshore in Florida. So this obviously negates the need for diesel electric autonomy and the associated cost / complexity.

http://www.frappr.com/?a=viewphoto&id=269116&pid=7515546&myphotos=1

Now then, I will go the other extreme and ordered K-250 plans from PSUBS a few days ago! The deciding factor, was Alec's little flatbed trailer and the thought of being able to have it all, the boat and the sub!

My thoughts are to transform the K-250 into a one man version of the new Alvin replacement with a snub nose and saddle tanks for increased forward visibility. Here you can see the beginnings of this concept on the K-350 while I await the K-250 plans.

Joe