RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] MIR aft planes

Sorry guys, my fault..I asked for a "guess". I figured precisely as Jay noted, that no-one might know for sure why this configuration and I am very curious about it.

Joe

From: "Jay K. Jeffries" <bottomgun@mindspring.com>
To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] MIR aft planes
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 15:59:28 -0400

Brent,

Instead of "guessing" all of the time, please do some real research.
Neophyte PSUBers often take as gospel any information that is found here on
the PSUB list and can lead to misconceptions on their part in the
future.some of which may be dangerous if not down right deadly.  You will
note that many of us refrain from making replies here unless we have some
expert knowledge to bring. A number of us have to waste a good deal of time
better spent on other endeavors dispelling misinformation that is either
represented as fact or not clearly labeled speculation by a non-engineer or
scientist.

I did not respond to this particular request by Joe as I do not know why the
Russians have used this configuration but I can tell you it is not because
the water is not disturbed yet and vortex shedding is not an issue here.
Both issues are related to speed here and speed is not one of Mir's fine
points.  You can not tell whether it is a Kort nozzle, a Rice nozzle, or
simply an entanglement guard without viewing the cross section of the nozzle
or someone more closely associated with the Mir submersibles making a
response.  Due to the small size of most all submersibles, there is little
reserve buoyancy that can be effectively designed in.all of them have
handling issues on the surface.  While a lot can be learned from images and
visiting various submersibles, hard calculations along with weight and trim
spreadsheets are necessary prerequisites for a successful submersible with a
long, safe lifespan.  How do you know you are not looking at a given
submersible's weak point or a poor design?

I can tell you from an early proposal for building the Mir subs that they
are size constrained for carrying in aircraft holds and the fins on top are
probably a means for shortening the overall length due to deck housing
issues (this is a factor in a number of submersible designs).but it is pure
speculation on my part.

A dunce can appear brilliant if he holds his tongue.

Jay K. Jeffries

Andros Is., Bahamas

A skimmer afloat is but a submarine, so poorly built it will not plunge.