Sent: Monday, August 06, 2007 2:52 PM
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] 100% MIG Welding PV Seams

From what I've gathered so far about welding pressure vessel seams, if looks like the main focus is on non porosity, penetration, in some cases annealing, shielding from oxidation, and material choices.

In regards to porosity, I was working on a large building complex for a company that seals very large CA (Controlled Atmosphere) cold storage buildings, made from stand up concrete slabs. The cold storage rooms are for storing mostly apples and such, and when they are full, then all the air is removed and replaced with CO2. We usually would insulate and seal the concrete with a industrial spray on urethane foam, and then cover that with a fireproofing material and protective coating for the foam. But on this one monster project we sealed the seams with a large rubber type band with a sealing adhesive. For the walls we sprayed on a thick rubber like paint and back rolled it on the large wall surfaces. Even with all that, the rooms leaked, when a vacuum test was performed.. I was instructed to fill all the millions and millions and millions of tiny holes in the painted concrete slab surface, from open bubble voids in the concrete surface.

So I used a 6 inch putty knife and a caulking gun and went to work. It didn't take very long before I realized I was wasting my time. The concrete was like a closed cell foam. Just because some cells were open on the surface, doesn't mean they go to the other side of the wall. Long story short after a week of complaining that I was wasting my time, the rooms were retested and a powder duster test was done to the seams and they found out that they guy doing the seams had not used enough sealing glue.

So with regards to voids in a weld bead, if they are very small, and the weld has great penetration, wouldn't that still make a good PV weld bead? A tiny bubble on the surface and/or inside the bead, I wouldn't think would usually produce a pin hole leak. Once you have finished all your welding you can install the view ports and perform a vacuum test for leaks.

Regards,
Brent Hartwig