From: "David Bartsch" <dbartsch2236@hotmail.com>
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Hydrophone systems
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 17:26:29 -0400

Joseph,
The initial sonar array being constructed is not very ambitious. It will contain six of these "Dolphin ear" style hydrophones configured in a hexigon configuration. Just as you would cup your ear with your hands so as to better hear a specific noise source (You are using the difference in medium between water(your hand) and air to accomplish this concentrating) We will isolate these hydrophones one from another using air. The hydrophone that is most closely aligned with the sound source will recieve it the loudest. The hydrophone selection is being accomplished by a handwheel driven cam that makes and breaks small microswitches. These hydrophones use the basic electronic rule that states that a complete path is required for current to flow. The ground connection is common to all of the hydrophones...only the other hydrophone connection is isolated for each hydrophone by individually assigned microswitches. A small overlap exist to ensure constant coverage as you transition from one hydrophone or area of coverage to another. Once the initial passive sonar is up and running, A modification of either a larger cam assembly that would accomodate a full 12 switches, or two same diameter cams mounted one above the other will provide for 30 degree in much the same way.
 As to the final degree of accuracy that can be obtained...who knows.
Even with but six hydrophones, sixty degrees is far more acceptable than 360 or none at all. Also...the use of sound dampening barriers or bulkheads could increase the bearing accuracy a great deal sorta like moving your ear near a cracked door to listen in on a conversation. by changing your boats heading and listening with a known reception window, you could almost certainly pinpoint a targets exact bearing. It is my intention to utilize a 12 hydrophone array to aquire a rough bearing to a detected contact, then use a large lower frequency hydrophone properly baffled to better pinpoint its location. I should point out that once the amplifier is adjusted to a confortable listening level, one need only turn the handwheel to the dirrection desired in order to listen for boat activity. (This is not going to take away from a dive as to complexity to operate!) This is an area still under investigation and of ongoing research...any findings or research on anyones part can only enhance or improve everones final passive sonar result. Also, by having purchased the real mcCoy as to a dolphin ear, some comparisons could be made between a commercially available hydrophones and any you can produce yourself and will in the long run ensure that your final product will be the best that you can obtain.(So don't feel too bad)