Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Vertical Hulled Sub

Unless I use mirrors or a very small viewport towards the bottom that is caged to prevent impact damage, I'm not sure how well cameras would work.  In my feasibility analysis I've seen one glaring shortfall.  Cabin space.  This also effects down-time.   I was considering the use of a rebreather-like aparatus.  Sodalime (or similar) for scrubbing, a small O2 bottle hooked up to a sensor which detects the partial pressure of O2 and injects as necessary.  That would make a huge difference in downtime, but it would raise cost and complexity, as well as taking up some space.  Battery space is limited, but hopefully with as small as it is, large amounts wouldnt be needed.
I was thinking of bailout proceedures, and realized the lack of ability to release air out the very top, there would be an air bubble trapped in the canopy which would immediately pressurize to the surrounding ATA if I had to manually flood the sub.  Hmmm...  Maybe a small piece of tubing routed to the top of the canopy from behind?  I'm also considering 2 flat steel straps which criss-cross the canopy for extra protection.  Was hoping to keep costs down but Its sooooo easy to just tack on a $K here, a $K there..  lol
Once I've planned for all contingencies and refitted for all my needs, that design picture would certainly lose alot of its "sexiness".....<shrugs>

Ken

Paul Kreemer <paulkreemer@gmail.com> wrote:
I really like this configuration too.  It seems like a way to do a small, simpler, hardsuit kind of sub.  The view down is compromised (cameras?) but you get much easier surface handling, compared to some 'head in a dome' designs like Deepflight where you need to shift a lot of ballast to the tail or have some external hoist just to let you open the hatch.

Not knowing any better I'd go with more fixed thrusters mounted close to the hull.  I like how they're tucked under the MBT in your image.  You could ram into a dock and maybe spend fewer hours on repairs.  :-)

Paul

Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

image/pjpeg