Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Glass microspheres idea

Hi Doug. The fiberglass container would still be subject to external pressure, as the filler bubbles would still have 1 atmosphere air around them if the hole was "plugged".
If the pressure was great enough to stress the fiberglass walls to the point of cracking, or even rupture, you may start to lose the glass bubbles. If you lose the glass bubbles, your sub becomes heavier in relation to it's displacement, and you sink.
You could use HP air to compensate the external pressure, say with a scuba regulator , connected to the tanks, but you'd have to make sure the air is dumped as you ascend.
Seems like it's pretty complicated for what you achieve, ie: some extra buoyancy.
why not just build the tanks out of steel, thick enough to withstand the pressure, and bolt them on. Or if weight is a problem, aluminum sheet rolled into the general shape, and covered by a fiberglass fairing of the desired shape for that "sleek" configuration to fit the hull.
My sub needs 750 pounds of lead just to sink when the main ballast tanks are full of water.( plus trim tanks half full and additional lead ballast on the floor ( about 250 pounds )
When I drop the 750 lbs emergency drop weight, ( if I need to ) it should float like a cork.
These are rough numbers, but the total displacement is about 8700 lbs. and the finished weight including passenger and pilot, is around 7600 pounds.
I read where ABS says that your sub should be slightly positive buoyant at all times so if a major failure occurs, or you become unconscious for some reason, the sub will float to the surface by itself. The use of thrusters pushing the sub down to maintain depth was the preferred method.
I'm not so sure I like the idea of using battery power to stay down, but it does add another safety factor to the overall design.
Is your sub so heavy you need the additional buoyancy? Why not make the interior space a little bigger, and get the buoyancy from a space you can use. Frank D.

See what's free at AOL.com.