RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] on-board air.

Hi Jay,

I am a fan of the words "or equal".

sample:
Oxygen bottle should be storage outside - if possible.
If not possible a equal solution should be found - like the main vale of the bottle inside is easy reach by the pilot.

> The fan should be powered by a small
> independent, dedicated battery system sized to meet the duration of your
> scrubber.

Or the fan should be powered by the main battery - in case of a failture with the main battery it should be switch together with other main emergency systems to the emergency battery. In this case the mainbattery should by have a offline switch close to the cable troughull. To reach 48 or more hours a manual scrubber breathing hose is common (and cheap ;-) ).

 Fire and flooding are the two
> major causalities that ever submariner should fear and the immediate action
> should be an emergency surfacing.

Thats right: Fire or just smoke ! Leaking or Flooding and catching a net or rope underwater.

But in case of a major leak I would say the first thing you should do is to
check or make the boat in "dive condition" ! Major leak means in general:
Hatch not sealed, flood- or other vales not tight or in wrong position.
Most leaks I have seen on subs are: Open engine exhaust vale, not tight hatches..
A real leak because of a broken something is.. - ..rarely

In case of smoke or fire inside the hull:
- First stop breathing for some seconds and grab the scuba regulator
  (cable fire exhaust can put you out of action with one breath!)
- second grab the scuba mask
- battery main switch offline (I think most fire are electrical powered)
- blow tanks.
- close o2 main vale

best regards Carsten