Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Rand Corp sub competition entry

It's a pretty interesting topic - thanks for the photo links.  Yeah, I'm with you on those questions about dry versus wet.
Some more:

* Does the Coast Guard or oil industry want a combination speedboat-submarine?
I can see this being interesting for the SEALs and us recreational underwater types but otherwise it seems like a Tom Swift or Dirk Pitt-inspired business plan.

* What kind of planing performance do you get carrying enough ballast to submerge this baby?
This is really your dry vs. wet question.  Is there a lot of horsepower involved?  Or are we missing some clever trick, as the article hints at?

* Shouldn't you ditch those vertical tails fins to reduce visibility/radar signature?  Granted, it's a prototype...

* And would this minisub be capable of riding piggyback on our attack subs?

And of course I ask these critical questions mostly because I'm jealous that these guys are "living the dream"!  :-)

Paul