Sent: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 7:06 PM
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] stress levels in a concrete submarine yacht hull - troll

Carsten,

Understand that beyond a certain depth, lockout becomes unfeasible plus the decompression times become excessive.

After sailing as the engineering officer on the largest ferrocement vessel certified for hire in the US for a year (I recognize the difference between ferrocement and what is being proposed here) and having to repair a significant hull breach due to the captain at the time?s inebriation (drunk), I concur that the hull thickness should be designed greater than what is required for depth.  The vessel?s hull in the region of the accident was properly laid up with a significant amount of rebar which held together the crushed concrete but a large amount of water still flooded into the hull.  A freshly tarred piece of canvas pulled around the hull and over the breach staunched most of the flooding until repairs could be made.  The square-rigger was 130 ft. (40 m.) in length, displaced about 200 t., and the hull?s ferrocement was about 180 mm in the region of the hole.  The collision was with a channel buoy (a giving instead of a solid surface) which crushed an area about 20 inches (0.5 m.) in diameter.  The crushed concrete had to be cleared out, the exposed concrete surface cleaned with muriatic acid, and a VERY EXPENSIVE special epoxy-sand mixture was used to fill the area which resulted in the patch being stronger than the surrounding hull.

I am intrigued by what Wilfried has accomplished and would really like to explore further the possibilities.  To lessen the impact issue, consider metal-skinned, external ballast tanks that vertically extend down below the greatest breadth of the concrete hull.  The metal acts as a fender and is more forgiving of impacts than the concrete (easier and cheaper to repair also).

R/Jay