Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Distress Buoy

What about the trigger: A mechanical through hull?, an electric one? a magnet switch (like on some DPVs)?

I am thinking, for the length of the line, if you have currents around 2knt and are stuck at the bottom, the buoy could sink if your line is shorter (experienced with lobster traps where the line length was more than twice the depth). You can test it by trailing it with the sub moving. At the same time if your depth is 300m, that is a lot of line! An emergency acoustic pinger might be better, if you do not have the room offboard for a line strong enough to lift the sub.
For the line material the best resistance/diameter I know is kite surf 2 - 2.5mm dyneema (I don t know the US name for it) expensive though. http://www.cousin-trestec.com/cordage-fr/cordage-parapente-kitesurf/suspente-kitesurf.php

Antoine